Thursday, September 25, 2014

a quick note on "selfies"

Back when I was in junior college I used to take mini-road trips around the Bay Area by myself. They were my escape from reality, a way of being alone with my thoughts, an opportunity to listen to my music loud and not have my terrible singing judged, etc. These trips were so sudden, so out of nowhere, that I would just get up and go. Sometimes I would be driving home from my dad's house and then take a random side road which lead me to taking a 45 minute drive to nowhere in particular. I loved it. And I rarely had a camera on me. And definitely no tripod. And let's face it, being alone was favored over inviting someone to tag along. There wasn't usually anybody nearby that I could ask to take a picture of me and well, let's be real here, that photo would probably look like shit because I would be awkward as hell cheesing in front of this stranger.  Obviously, the best option of getting a picture of myself at these beautiful places...was a selfie (back then I had never heard of the term).

A "Selfie", to me, means independence. It always has.


- k.r.

No comments:

Post a Comment